This creamy smoked bacon and mushroom risotto is a dish that everyone will love. Try our fast yet tasty recipe below.
500ml vegetable stock
½ onion, diced
1 garlic clove, crushed
150g arborio rice
75ml dry white wine
2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley, or snipped chives
100g smoked bacon, diced
200g sliced mushrooms
40g parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the vegetable stock in a small pan and keep gently simmering.
- Heat ½ of the butter in a large pan. Add the onion and garlic, and cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes, stirring, until softened.
- Using a wooden spoon, stir in the rice and coat it with the onions. Add the wine and simmer until almost evaporated. Stir in a ladleful of hot stock. Cook, stirring occasionally until it has been absorbed into the rice.
- Continue adding the hot stock a ladleful at a time, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes or until the risotto is tender and creamy. Stir in the herbs, then season to taste.
- Meanwhile, dry-fry the smoked bacon in a nonstick frying pan until browned and crisp. Transfer to kitchen paper to drain excess oil.
- Add the remaining butter and the sliced mushrooms to the pan you used to cook the bacon and stir-fry over high heat for 4-5 minutes or until tender.
- When the risotto is cooked, stir in the mushrooms with their juices and half of the bacon. Spoon onto warmed plates and scatter with the remaining bacon and the parmesan cheese.