- Easter is about spending quality time with our family, and what better way than sharing quality fine food around the table.
A firm family favourite at Easter is David’s Larder free-range, grass-fed, hormone-free butterfly chicken. Our founder David has personally pre-marinated the meat, which comes in a range of flavours including Greek Style, Moroccan, Lemon & Herb or Plain.
Natalie (wife to David) shares with us her simple and delicious chicken and rice recipe, which she dishes up every Easter for the entire family.
WHY I LOVE IT
- It’s a one pan dinner – the raw rice and chicken are cooked together at the same time;
- Creative flare – You can adapt the dish to include your favourite spices and flavours
- Quick to prepare – prep time is 10 minutes; and
- The entire family loves, no separate meals on chicken and rice night!
“Skin on, bone in butterfly chicken from David’s Larder is best for this recipe because it takes the same length of time to cook in the oven as the rice – 1 hour in total”
- 1 Butterfly Chicken
- 4 Cloves Garlic, Minced or 2 tbsp Jar (depends how garlicky you like it).
- 1 1/2 Cups Hot Chicken or Stock
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Cup Rice
Preheat oven to 180°C
- Add garlic, hot chicken stock (a stock cube works) and butter into the dish. Mix well to melt the butter and combine. Stir in the rice
- Arrange butterfly chicken in the dish over the rice, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake for an additional 30-35 minutes or until the chicken is cooked right through to the bone and rice is soft.
- Remove chicken, mix the rice through, then arrange the chicken back on top of the rice. Cover and allow it to rest for 10 minutes to set off all the flavours in the hot dish. The rice will finish off cooking while resting.
WHAT TO SERVE WITH CHICKEN AND RICE?
- Add a big leafy salad on the side with a salad dressing of choice.