Enjoy a delicious bowl of home-made spaghetti Bolognese, a firm family favourite. Check out our delicious yet simple recipe.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 rashers of bacon, finely chopped
- 500g lean beef mince meat
- 1 x 400g cans plum tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian herbs
- 250g dried spaghetti
- 250g mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 125g red wine
- 50g parmesan, shaved to serve
- Handful fresh basil leaves to serve
- 1 beef stock
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Fry the garlic, onion, bacon and mushrooms for about four minutes, or until softened.
- Next place the mince meat in the pan, gently stirring for about 6 minutes until browned.
- Add the tin of tomatoes, paste, oregano, bay leaf, stock and wine. Stir well with a wooden spoon, breaking up the tomatoes.
- Reduce to a medium-low heat and leave to simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add salt and pepper, and stir in. Leave to simmer for a further 40-50 minutes, until the sauce is rich.
- Cook spaghetti according to the packet instructions. Drain well.
- Serve spaghetti onto plates, topping with bolognese sauce and a sprinkle of parmesan and basil leaves.